Friday, August 01, 2008

Fatherhood Report 8/1/2008

You probably haven't heard from me as much in the last year. That's because I'm a dad now. (If you think you're still hearing from me too often, well then I don't know what to tell you...)

This is my son. He's got my nose (and he's not giving it back). I understand that there's nothing less interesting than other people's kids, so you're totally excused if you want to bail on this post at this point.


He was born last October. He's a little over nine months old now, so he's been on the outside longer than he was on the inside.

He's a blast. When he's in a good mood, which is most of time, there's nothing more fun than spending time with him. His favorite activities include putting things in his mouth, playing ball, baths, throwing things on the floor, grabbing the dog, small engine repair*, and yelling. And pooping. Always with the pooping.

When he's sad, there's nothing sadder. A teething baby is the saddest thing the world. He's got two teeth in so far, so I'm guessing there's going to be a lot more of that pain to come.

I wouldn't trade fatherhood for anything, but it definitely takes its toll on you. There has been no point in the last nine months that I would consider myself "well rested". The only thing I asked for on Father's Day was a little time to take a nap.

I've learned a lot in the last year or so. Parenthood changes you. It makes you a different person. It some ways, it's much harder than I expected. In other ways, it's really not that bad. You figure out what works and what doesn't. It gets easier as you go.

The other happy discovery this year was the big bump in our tax return. The government totally gets off on you having kids. They give you a ton of money back in the spring. Damned if I know why.

But the biggest thing you realize is how much free time you used to have. If you're a parent, you know what I'm talking about. And you're never getting that free time back.

If you're not a parent, go outside! Right now! It's Friday night! Stop reading this post and go do something fun!




*may not actually be true

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Photos by J. Canole.