Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Delayed Gratification

I love summer, but I miss baking during the summer months. I usually can't stand spending too much time in the kitchen with the oven on.

Today was only in the 70s here, so I fired things up. I tried the New York Times "36 hour" cookie recipe. You make the batter, then let it sit in the fridge for 36 hours. It's supposed to let the ingredients get to know each other a little better.

I made the batter Tuesday morning. I also made sure I cleaned out anything in the refrigerator that might affect the cookie dough taste before storage (Old onions? Gone.)


First, I should say that I modified this recipe slightly. I had bread flour, but I had to substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour. I used a whole bag of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Chips AND 1/2 a bag of Nestle Toll House Semi Sweet Chocolate Chunk Morsels. I also added pecans.


So what's the verdict? It was a pretty tasty cookie. I liked the sea salt sprinkled on top. The salty taste sets you up for the sweet (Jen described it as having "bite").

I also liked using "golf ball" sized cookie batter chunks. It made for a nice thick cookie.

I've never used this recipe before, so I can't really say if letting it sit made a difference. The batter had a nice strong vanilla smell when I took off the plastic wrap.

Additional research may be needed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We use the same Ghiardelli 60% chips... I love their bitterness.

Milk chocolate chips in a chocolate chip cookie almost ruin them for me. I mean, not enough for me to turn my nose up, but...

Yeah.