Monday, December 14, 2009

Stop Poking Me!

I just finished my first acupuncture appointment.  I think it's working.

I had a bad run of bronchitis in October and into November.  I went to the walk-in clinic three times in six weeks (and had a cycle of antibiotics each time).  Ten weeks later, it's still lingering.  I'd say I've gotten to no more than 75 - 80% better.  Being 75% better sucks.  Nobody feels bad for you.  They expect you to do stuff.  And you don't get any more good drugs.

So rather than go back a fourth time, I figured I'd try something else.

We spent 20 minutes or so going over my medical history.  Then he took me into the back room and had my lie down.  He explained to me what each needle was for the treatment of (lungs, knees, allergies) as he put them in.  It was somewhat reassuring.  He also checked out tongue 3 or 4 times during the appointment.  Not really sure what that meant.

I was surprised to find the whole experience somewhat relaxing.  I was surprised to find I had been there for two hours when I put my watch back on.  The needles didn't really hurt at all (I felt them more on the way out).  I'm not afraid of needles, but it's always a little scary when someone you just met is stabbing you in the spine.

The only thing keeping me from falling asleep toward the end was my full bladder.  I definitely could have passed out.  When I stood up to put my clothes back on, my nose immediately started running.  He loosened up something in there.

He wants me off dairy for a few weeks.  That will probably be the hardest part (especially during Nog Season).

Kevork did good.  Part way though, I could feel my breathing get easier.  It was like when you're driving on that bumpy, scraped pavement where they're working on the road and you suddenly hit the smooth part of the road.  My lungs just felt smoother.  If he can get the last of this bronchitis to go, it will all be worth it.

No comments: