Friday, October 09, 2009

Four Days in the DE

We went to Delaware for a four day weekend last week. It was quite lovely.

Lots of nice boardwalks.

Being "The First State" and one of the original Thirteen Colonies, I expected it to be a little more "New Englandy". Delaware was more like "Florida North" than a Mid-Atlantic New England state. It's very flat. There's lots of beaches. The only culture is agriculture. There's tons of retired people (I would guess they're mostly ex-Navy and Air Force. They've just got that look about them.)

Wanna drive up on the beach and fish? Go for it.

Other than the first 1/3rd of the state, there's nowhere to work. I can definitely see the appeal of retiring there (no sales tax!), but I'm still a few years away from that.

Delaware is much more rural than I expected. Especially as you move away from the coast. There were farms! Lots of corn. And are those soy beans? Huh.

We were waaay down at the very end of Delaware. For the second smallest state, it was a lot longer than I expected. We took a short drive and found ourselves in Ocean City, Maryland. Which felt like a whole other planet.

Whoa.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first Five Guys Burgers and Fries experience. They make their burgers and fries from actual food! I almost ate Jen's burger out from under her. Good stuff.

The beaches were pretty sweet though. None of that rocky crap like we have here.

Little Man enjoys the beach.


And crabs. Oh man, does Delaware have crabs.

R.I.P., Pinchy.

No comments: