Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fishwives Are Chatty...

"Can I get a pound of the raw shrimp?"

"Sure thing. Good deal on those today."

"I know. I was going to buy the pre-cooked ones, but I can't say 'no' to $5.99 a pound."

"Right. So what are you going to do with them? If you don't mind me asking..."

"I'm thinking stir fried rice."

"Oh, that sounds good. I'm a bit of a foodie myself."

"Yeah, that's why I'm here."

"Make sure you cook them all the way through."

"OK. Thanks."

"You got a good pairing knife?"

"Definitely."

"Soak 'em good, then cut out the veins and shells."

"OK."

"And save the shells for stock. It'll be more sweet than fishy."

"I'm probably not going to do that."

"You should."

"OK, I'll think about it. Anything else?"

"No, I think that's it. You cooking them tonight?"

"Yes."

"Good. What time?"

"Probably not until 8 or so."

"OK. Don't let them sit any longer than that."

"Got it. Thanks again... I gotta get back to work."


Then she showed up at my house that night to make sure I was cooking them the right way. Really.

1 comment:

Bill C. said...

She's right about the shells making a great stock.