Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Dude, you've got to leave the house more often...

One of my favorite hobbies is torturing people in the media. Especially lazy people.

For those of you who aren't football fans, two or three times a year somebody writes an article about how out of control player's weights are in the NFL today.

This week, Tim Dahlberg, AP Sports Columnist filed a short-sighted little piece called "Fat flies in NFL, where one in four Super Bowl players are over 300 pounds".

Apparently, football players were all skinny 20 years ago. And nobody ever seems to take into account that these players may actually be taller and more muscular than players from a generation ago.

Anyway, I took a few minutes and sent this note to Tim:


I don't usually like to do the "link to an article then bitch about it" thing, but c'mon... seriously... Have you been to a buffet restaraunt or Wal-Mart recently? One out of EVERY four Americans is over 300 pounds these days. It's not just football players.


Well, Tim actually took the time to write back to me:

"true, walmart has a lot of 300 pounders..."


So I've got to respect that.

4 comments:

Austin White said...

Maybe you will get mentioned now in his next column

Joel said...

I had to listen to another national journalist commenting on how these guys are the world's greatest athletes; that T.O. will play Sunday because his finely tuned body has recuperative powers we can only dream about. B.S. These are not supermen. They are just in a state of denial encouraged by others. The world's greatest athletes don't die in nasty, ugly ways in their 40s and 50s.

Anonymous said...

20 years ago, wasn't there a player called "the Fridge"?

Anonymous said...

No fair! I've been writing to Cris Carter every week this year to tell him how much of a dumbass he is and he never writes me back.

I'm thinking it's because he can't read and he can't type. Maybe I should send him this link. Or rather, maybe I should send his intern this link to read to him before he dreams up how to break the world recorf for most use of the word 'great' in one paragraph.

Goddamn that guy is a moron.