Monday, September 29, 2008

Area Man Gets Scanner to Work with Windows Vista

(Sorry... Had to borrow this joke).

After almost a year with our new computer, I finally got the HP scanner working with Windows Vista.

I was very disappointed to find out that a driver for my scanner didn't didn't come with Vista initially. It's a seven year old scanner. But it works fine. And you know what? Scanner technology hasn't changed that much in the last seven years.

I finally stumbled across a fix while working on a different problem. If you right click an executable in Vista, you get the option for a "Run as Windows XP" compatibility switch.

I downloaded the HP driver for XP and was able to fake my way through the rest of the installation.

And now we can share Little Man's art with the rest of the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you still hate Macs? Did you ever?

Patrick said...

Me? I've got nothing against Macs.

Do I come across as anti-Mac?

Anonymous said...

I thought so - at least at a waffle party or two ago. There was some anti-Mac sentiment.