Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Back to School

Before last Saturday morning, it had been 10 months since I last went to a karate class. I'm a little nervous as I pull into the parking lot. My ears feel red and hot. Will I see anyone I recognize? Will I remember what I'm supposed to do? I don't want to look lost out there. Maybe I should just turn around and head home. While I busted my ass to get my black belt, in the year since I've gotten it, I've pretty much been the worst black belt ever.

I step in through the door, and it all comes flooding back to me. The familiar scent of Febreze and sweat fills my nostrils. I find a quiet spot in the corner and start stretching out.

I get out my belt and tie it on. That feels nice. I've missed that. A few people come over and say hello. They want to know where I've been and what I've been up to. I start to feel a little more relaxed. It's good to be back.

Class begins and I feel slightly panicky again. We get through stretching and warm ups and I'm already a little sore (I REALLY need to start stretching again).

We move on to kata, and I realize I can't rely on "muscle memory" like I used to when I was taking 3 - 4 classes a week. I really have to think hard about what I'm about to do next (and occasionally take a peak out of the corner of my eye to see what everyone else is doing).

We finish up class with punching. Jab, cross. Jab, cross. Jab, cross. As hard and as fast as you can go. Then switch sides. That gets the adrenaline going. Damn. What a rush. (Although my shoulders would still be sore 2 days later.)

I miss my school, but it's almost 40 miles from where we ended up buying a house. I can't make it down there 2 - 3 times a week. And it's not like I haven't tried to find something local. I went and sat in on a kenpo class close to wear I live. But A) it's SO different that what I'm used to, and B) it's going to be almost impossible to recreate the sense of community right away that I felt with my old school after 4 plus years of going there (and, C) the place was little ghetto...)

I then end, I'm really glad I went. I haven't been able to find the feeling I get from karate anyplace else. I'm not going to wait this long before going back next time.

No comments: