Friday, December 03, 2010

I Say "Doctor, Ain't There Nothin' I Can Take..."



I spoke to a new asthma and allergy doctor this week.  He listened to my questions.  He asked follow up questions.

He didn't give me one word answers.  He never asked me to "trust his 20 years experience".

He actually ordered up some tests instead of just guessing at the problem and handing me some pills.

It was a much much better experience.

The kicker - the new guy doesn't even think I have asthma.

He thinks it might be some kind of long running low grade sinus infection that I never got rid of.

Wednesday was the nebulizer test (asthma) and sinus CT scan.

Next week is a scratch test (allergies)... which means I have to give up my Benadryl habit for a few days.

The week after is a "methacholine challenge".  Which I think is a segment from "Double Dare".

He also told me stop with the Symbicort.  Which is good.  Because every time the commercial comes on and mentions "asthma related death", I kinda shit my pants just a little bit.


So the big question is... Why does this feel like such a revelation to find a doctor who listens and tries to solve problems?  Shouldn't they all be like that?

No comments: